Copyright © Pilgrim Benefice 2003
Saint Michael and All Angels' Church, Bunwell
Opposite is the North door which was rehung and lined to match the
South door in 1998. It leads to the churchyard and is frequently used.
Over the North door is a large set of Arms of Queen Anne.
The attractive square western tower was being built in the early 16th
century, as there is a record that William Taylor of Hadderston in 1505
bequeathed 6s 8d each year to the "making up of the steeple of
Bonwell" until 33s 4d had been paid. It now contains a ring of six bells.
There are diagonal buttresses and square headed sound holes, those
north and south being two-light with detailed tracery. The stepped
embattled parapet has traceried and detailed flushwork, and there are
(Extracts taken from St. Michael and All Angels' Church, A short historical guide compiled by
The present day church was built in the early
Perpendicular style in the 14th and 15th
centuries. It stands on the highest land in the
parish, probably on the site of an earlier
church, which itself was preceded by a
remarkable Stone Cross. The earlier name of
the village was Haderson or Haddeston
possibly meaning Holy Stone. The church is
built of flint and stone and consists of a square
tower, nave, chancel and south porch.
The church is entered by the south porch, the
walls of which are fully covered with good
traceried flint flushwork. The oak door was
locally made in 1977 in memory of the
Directions, map, address,
contact & service details